Friday, May 14, 2010

Abby's been dragging her feet through lessons.  The math drill sheets take her f o r e v e r to finish.  I chalk it up to daydreaming.  If I don't point to every problem on the sheet and remind her to move on, she'll start to wander off into her own world.  Seriously, these lessons should not take two hours to finish.  Part of her slump is caused by starting the actual reading lessons in OPTGR.  The lessons make her frustrated and she finds them hard, and anything Abby finds hard, she'll fight tooth and nail not to do.  So I'm dragging her through them.  Remember how long it took us to get through the short vowel sounds?  Months!  Once the material clicks for her, we'll be rolling again.  Whenever I discuss a hard patch with people, I always get the "well, if she were in school this wouldn't happen."  Really??!  Because I know my daughter, and if someone is not there to nudge her through the hard stuff, she'll just guess or stop and daydream.  And when Abby's in a room with other kids, she is totally consumed and fascinated by the other kids.  How will she ever focus on work?  Anyways... (and I don't want my daughter to be afraid of hard work.)

Yesterday, Abby and I realized she has a loose tooth!  It still has a good couple of weeks before it's ready to come out.  When I saw it wiggle, I nearly came to tears.  Abby is growing up.  Losing baby teeth puts that final nail in the end of babyhood.

Vera got a hair cut.  It's a short and stacked in the back.  Brushing her hair in the morning takes two seconds, and it's over before she has a chance to protest.  Her hair was a complete mess with uncontrollable knots in the back.  The stylist who did Vera's hair kept telling me to brush it wet with conditioner and not to let her go to bed with wet hair.  Duh!  DUH! I know how to brush hair!  It wasn't an issue of me not knowing how to brush her hair, it was Vera REFUSING to let me or Scott or even Abby from brushing her hair.  And lady, thanks for the advice of pinning my kid down and brushing it out, I'm sure Vera would LOVE that. (insert eye roll)

A friend recommended a book titled, Marshmallow, and it's become our favorite book.  It's about a house rabbit and a cat who become wonderful friends and it's a true story.  Marge got a much bigger liter box.  It was the biggest open top liter box I could find at Petco.  The large box has made a huge difference in how much I have to change the newspaper and sweep up hay from the floor.  I was changing her papers pretty much every day and we were rocking through hay at a fast pace.  The papers went three days and the bottom papers were still dry.  I'm pretty sure Marge could hold a bunny party in that box.  Marge is one spoiled rabbit.  The groceries from Fresh Direct came in cardboard boxes and the girls arranged them into apartments for their animals, and when they were done playing, Marge took the liberty of romping through them.

I'm reading 'The Death and Life of the Great American School System" http://www.amazon.com/Death-Great-American-School-System/dp/0465014917/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273858116&sr=1-1 and so far it's fascinating.  She uses New York City schools as an example of how data, and testing, and choice undermine students.  I had never heard of constructivist math and Balanced Literacy, but they sound terrifying.  https://www.wrightgroup.com/everydaymath/index.html?cat=37 Everyday Mathematics is a program based on constructivist math.  Here's a quick overview- http://www.rationalamerican.com/rp.org/archives/math.html  I'm going to stick to my traditional Saxon Math.  I want my girls to have a strong foundation in math, so when we reach those higher grades, my girls will be more than ready to tackle anything.  
  

No comments: