Sunday, June 6, 2010

 
Abby marching in the Memorial Day Parade
The girls and Scott waiting for the train to go to the Memorial Day Parade.
 
The girls eating a snack at the end of the parade.
Monday, Abby has a longer than usual reading lesson.  It covers three letter words with short vowel sounds a, e, and i.  OPGTR says to keep repeating the past three lessons until I feel Abby has mastered those sounds before moving on.  She’s been doing well with the reading lately and starting to recognize words in the world.  So very cool.  We are close to being done with Math 1.  No matter when we finish it, I’m still going to take a few weeks off before starting Math 2. 

Vera’s not feeling well today.  She said her tummy hurt and she laid down for a nap without nursing.  Scott and I are trying really hard to keep everyone healthy.  Health insurance through his work is too expensive for us to afford, so we are without.  Supposedly by September, his company will have new insurance with lower payments and better plans.  It’s maddening that Scott works his ass off and we can’t afford health insurance.  Where is universal healthcare?? 

The oil spill in the Gulf is depressing.  I can’t look at the pictures anymore, and I can only stand to read the headlines and hear updates from Scott.  I don’t understand how people can destroy the Earth for money.  Don’t CEOs that work for the likes of BP and other horrible companies have kids and family that will need a clean safe place to live eventually??  That’s what I can’t comprehend.  How people can’t think about the consequences of their actions on future generations.  It’s appalling.

Vera counted to ten with a little help from me.  She got to five on her own and I prompted her six and seven and she got the rest of the numbers to ten.  Vera was counting all the animals in Goodnight Gorilla. 

We’re staying close to home for the next two weeks.  I might take the girls on a few explorations around Ft Hamilton and Bay Ridge.  Maybe take a walk down 8th Ave to see the fish markets and get red bean buns from the bakery.  Abby’s classes are finished and I have no desire to ride the subway into Manhattan right now. 

Abby got all her Daisy petals!  And she got her first journey patch.  She completed the Daisy journey, The Flower Garden.  The girl was sooo happy about those petals!  Her troop had an end of the year party and ceremony.  Oh and the biggest highlight for Abby was marching in the Memorial Day Parade!  The smile on her face!  Although right before the girls started walking, Abby was holding her troop’s banner and, I guess all the excitement and drums beating, she started to cry.  I told her she didn’t have to hold the banner if she didn’t want to and I was walking with her.  She ended up holding her leader’s hand for the first quarter of the parade and then Abby relaxed and enjoyed herself.  Miss Vera stayed on my back for the entire parade!  That had to be the longest time I’ve carried her in months. 

It looks like it’s going to storm...

No comments: