Monday, September 27, 2010

Scott worked a double shift and I’m waiting for him to come home.  He’s only eaten dinner once with us in a week and a half.  The girls saw him Saturday, but I had to work, and then he had to work Sunday.  This sucks.  Scott said he might be able to make dinner on Wednesday with us.  Dinner as a family is so so important to us.  It’s really my biggest ‘this must be done’ rule.  Nothing seems right in the house when we don’t eat dinner as a family at the table.  Scott is exhausted and I am beyond fatigued.  We’re both dragging ourselves around.

The no health insurance issue.  I am completely depressed and pissed about this whole situation.  Here’s what we can’t afford if we want to eat.  The insurance provided by the company Scott works for and the three major insurance companies that will cover my homebirth completely.  What we can afford is the crappy low cost state insurance that doesn’t cover homebirth.  We make too much to qualify for Medicaid, which oddly enough covers homebirth.  Scott has made so many phone calls and emails to his HR department about the cost of just enrolling the two of us, but no one is getting back to him.  Even an email to the vice president of the company has yielded us no help.  I’m one day away from calling HR on my own and letting loose.  This is absurd.  My husband works damn hard and we can’t get decent affordable insurance.  How fucked up of a country do we live in?!  It’s gotten to the point where our options for a homebirth are dwindling super fast.  If I have to have this baby in a hospital because that’s the only way to have this birth covered, there will be no end to my anger and resentment.  None.

I am fucking pissed.  And if you’re against universal health care, you suck.        

8 comments:

Amy D. said...

Can you petition the insurance companies to cover the home birth? Like do a cost-comparison? Show them your records from Vera's birth, so they know that you've already had one complication-free homebirth, and show them how much THEY would save by covering a home birth rather than a hospital birth?

Or, you can divorce Scott real quick and get medicaid, and then re-marry him if you want to ;)

Amy said...

It's more the monthly payments. A plan to just cover ME is about 1500 to 1700 depending on the insurance company. One of them even says pregnancy is a pre-existing condition!! And after hashing it out with Scott, I think we're going to go with his insurance and pay whatever doesn't get covered. And if we can't get his insurance, then we'll have to pay out of pocket. I refuse to go to the hospital.

Animal Within said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy D. said...

NY doesn't have laws about pregnancy being a pre-existing condition?! Even Montana had that law! Will the next open-enrollment for Scott's insurance be in time? Is it 1500/mo for Scott's insurance or for other private insurance? That's insane! Although I'm not entirely sure that paying out-of-pocket for a homebirth would be much more than the deductible on a hospital birth (plus the cost of premiums).

Amy said...

Ok- so the deal with Scott's insurance from work was FINALLY cleared up. Open enrollment is next week. To cover the two of us will be about $300 a month (Which was what we were paying for a family of four before Scott switched jobs!!). We still have to get the kids on the state insurance. So we're going to *hope* that it will cover a decent amount of the birth. I guess in NY pregnancy can still be considered a pre-existing condition. I think this will be the most affordable way to go, obviously. But to get Medicare in NYC a family of four has to make less than 20,000 a year. How does a family of 4 survive on 20,000 a year with the cost of rent and food??
I feel better now that I've flipped out over the insurance and we have a plan of action. I've done nothing but have freak out after freak out with this pregnancy!! Oy.

Jen said...

hi amy! congrats on the pregnancy! sounds like you've worked the insurance thing out....!

jhollis said...

Glad you got the insurance thing settled, I went through that almost my whole pregnancy and we are still going through it now...it makes me so insanely mad that there are no good affordable options for us. We have Atlantis right now with a family plan and we are paying $974 a month! I just learned that Atlantis is practically bankrupt! Lots of doctors don't want to take the insurance because they will not get paid, how lovely after I pay my bills on time to them every month, apparently all for nothing!
So back to insurance shopping I go...I swear I have wasted days of my life looking at options for us. Might end up back at freelancers union paying $1300 a month and still have a deductible and coinsurance, ahhh! Soon we are going to be paying more than our rent for health insurance.

Amy D. said...

Sadly, the average price for NYC health insurance for a family of four is 13K/year. Not sure where I read that...but it was recently.