Monday, September 13, 2010

Today is a good day for me.  I don’t feel like I was backed over by a truck.  :) 

The first week of first grade rocked.  Abby really likes the science and history.  It’s a lot of me reading aloud stories and her narrating back with some journal work thrown in.  I like The Story of the World Activity Book.  There’s some great ideas and ancient maps in there.  Abby’s rolling through math since it’s all review and she keeps complaining it’s too easy.  I said we should go over the easy stuff anyways.  It’s always good to review.  Another subject she’s enjoying is The First Language Lessons.  She’s memorizing her first poem, and both of us find it fun to practice trying to recite the poem from memory.  The poem is The Caterpillar by Christina G. Rossetti.  I’ve been timing how long it takes to get through everything, and it takes about an hour or so.  It really depends on how long the science and history stories take to read. 

I know I still have time, but I’m feeling the weight of trying to wean Vera.  She’s so little to me.  I half heartedly try to distract her if she asks to nurse during the day, and I have stopped offering.  The pain isn’t unbearable, but it’s there and I wonder if it will get more intense as this pregnancy progresses.  Night nursing depends on the night.  Some nights she nurses to sleep and then not again until morning, and other nights it seems like she nurses all night.  One step at a time.  One day at a time.  I really do not want to tandem nurse.

1 comment:

Amy D. said...

I only ended up tandem nursing because I thought that Riley would self-wean (70% of toddlers self-wean when their mothers become pregnant again). But she didn't. Way back then, I thought one year of nursing was enough (Snort! Imagine that!). There were times when I didn't mind, and times when I wanted to cry. Truthfully, I know precious few mothers in real life who truly enjoyed tandeming or nursing while pregnant. Plus, eating enough to provide milk for two is a full-time job in itself! As peachy-keen as tandem nursing seems in theory, I would not do it again if I could help it.