Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I’m in that second trimester lull.  I’m super tired but not sick!  There is a lingering of food aversion, but it’s slight and I can tough it out. 

On the weaning front, I’ve hit a wall.  Vera is going through one of her crying cycles, which makes any kind of nursing limits virtually impossible.  Notice how she has these bouts of crying during fall and winter?  I felt like summer went by too fast with no terrible Vera issues.  Anyways, my boobs hurt.  Nursing is painful those first few seconds.  Night weaning is actually going ok.  Vera nurses very quickly to sleep and the majority of the nights she doesn’t nurse at all until morning.  There have been several nights in a row where Vera has woken crying and needs to nurse back to sleep.  But our biggest issue is getting through this cycle whole.

On Halloween, Abby woke up and her right side of her face was swollen.  It looked like someone had hit her upside the face with a two by four.  I was so unprepared for it, I yelled Holy Shit, and ran to get my phone to call Scott who was at work.  Abby’s lip was the most swollen and when I looked in her mouth there was a huge abscess about the top right front tooth.  The same tooth that has been nothing but trouble since she was 18 months old and has been loose for over half a year.  She wasn’t in too much pain, and I’m sure she had a low grade fever (Abby refused to let me take her temperature and since she wasn’t burning up, I let it pass.)  I gave her some ice packs and by mid day, the swelling had gone down in her face.  The lip was still swollen and the abscess was still there, but at least she didn’t look beat up.  Turns out the poor thing got an infection in the gum surrounding the loose tooth.  Abby just finished a round of antibiotics and on Monday the tooth gets pulled.  There’s still redness and very slight swelling around that tooth and that concerns me.  It could be the adult tooth pushing down, but I have a gut feeling the infection is not completely gone.  The dentist said her mouth is so small and her teeth so close together that it’s making it hard for the baby teeth to loosen and fall out.  It’s like the baby teeth are all holding on together.  That top tooth should have fallen out months ago.  Abby also has another loose tooth on the bottom that’s been loose for several months and has yet to fall out.  You can feel her teeth scraping each other when you wiggle them.  How the hell are her adult teeth going to fit in her mouth??  So we’ll see how Monday goes.  It should be super quick and easy.

My mother and step father came up to NYC last weekend.  They drove up and I was finally able to prove to my mom that it really is a straight easy drive to Brooklyn.  It was a nice visit, but super short.  Now that my mom knows it’s an easy drive, maybe she’ll visit more.  ;)       

After the holidays, I need to start getting all the baby stuff together.  I like thinking about what we’ll need and what we have, etc.  Scott said we’ll need another dresser and he’s right.  It didn’t even dawn on me that we have no where to put baby clothes and diapers.  I’m hoping this baby is as easy to ec as Vera was.  I love how Scott loves ec too.  And I can’t wait to wrap a newborn again.  Scott wants to get himself a new Babyhawk, and I might have to get a new Didy just because. :)  Is it just Scott and I, or do other people go through carriers super fast?  Mei Tais get used and abused in our house.  Maybe it’s because we use them every freakin’ day multiple times. 

Oh yeah, and holiday shopping.  Abby really wants an American Girl doll and Vera wants a Bitty Baby.  I’m kind of on the fence about it.  I’d really like to get Abby and Vera something that has a bit more play value to it. 

No comments: