Monday, June 25, 2012

June 25, 2012

Just a quick post. It's past midnight, and I should be sleeping.

We had a relaxed, but busy weekend. Friday was perfect. I took the girls to Gunpowder for swimming and fun with our Friday hiking group. Vera spent the whole day floating around in the water on a floaty. I slathered all three with sun screen all day, but Vera's arms still got too much sun. She should really have a long-sleeved sun shirt if she's going to be floating all day. The short-sleeved one Vera has, ended up giving her a farmer's tan.

Since we spent all day Friday in the sun, we looked for indoor things to do for Saturday and Sunday. For some reason, I thought the Walter's Art Museum was not free. It's free. The girls loved it, and it brought back college memories for Scott and I. Abby totally got into the family guide packs, which are really nicely done. Probably the best guide packs I've seen in a museum. They are envelopes with thick cardstock cards with a picture of a piece on one side, and descriptions and thinking questions on the back. Abby enjoyed trying to find all the artwork on the cards, and listened intently to the descriptions. This was a first for us. Before we left, we checked out the family area on the lower level, and it did not disappoint. The girls' were upset we didn't have enough time to play there. They have a full rack of dress up clothes, need I say more? I promised we'd go back when the art cart is out, and they can do an art craft.

Sunday, we went to the BMA. The BMA was not as fun as The Walter's for the girls. The fourth Sunday of the month does not have a free lesson with a hands on craft. It's a guided tour. So, we skipped the tour and roamed around a bit. The best part was the Soundhiem winners exhibit from Artscape. The pieces were fascinating and thought provoking. Abby and Vera were both captivated by several pieces. Anytime art makes my kids stop and wonder, or even feel freaked out, I consider that a win.
Penny is not an easy museum goer. At The Walter's, she kept running off, slapping the display cases, squealing, and causing general chaos. When we went to the BMA, I kept her in the carrier the whole time. I let her run about when we got to the sculpture garden. Penny's new thing is to take off running. I put her down, and she's off. I'm not sure if I could do a museum trip without extra hands while Penny is in this new phase. She's just having fun running and squealing, while I have minor heart attacks everytime I turn around and she's gone.

In no order, are some pictures from this weekend.





No comments: