Saturday, October 6, 2012

October 6, 2012

Our first 'official' week of third grade went well.  I need to get used to the jump in work load.  Lessons now take up the entire morning, and some times a bit after lunch.  It means adjusting how I plan activities.  What I love about homeschooling, is being able to go places during the day while all the other kids are in school.  This past week, I found we weren't getting out the door until 2 or 3, the same time school gets out!  To make it in time for homeschool rollerskating, I had to pack, and get the littles ready, while Abby finished her lessons, then bolt for the car as soon as she was done.  Don't get me wrong, I love the increase in work, but some days I worry I'm not spending enough time with Vera.  Penny is still young enough, that she plays on the floor/table near me, nurses, or hangs out on my back in the carrier with a toy.  Vera needs more of me, if that makes sense.  Me, present with her.  Which is where, I think, her yearning to start math and reading comes into play.  Vera started the Kindy handwriting book, and she loves having me stand next to her, helping her as she learns to write.  She surprised me Thursday when she was working on the letter f.  She knew the sound f makes.  Actually, she knows quite a bit of how the alphabet sounds.  Vera's path to reading is vastly different from Abby's, and I can't wait to see how Penny's plays out.       

No comments: