Saturday, March 30, 2013

March 30, 2013

Penny food allergy update. I trialed tomatoes and peppers last week. Fail. She had hives on her neck and chest within minutes. I still don't have the nerve to try potatoes. She seems OK if I have a tomato or pepper dish once in a while.

Yesterday we dyed eggs with friends. Penny was all about dying the eggs, and smooshing them. Eggs don't bother me unless I eat a lot of them, and it's especially bad if I eat them straight up, but I can cook and touch them. So I didn't think about Penny having an issue touching eggs. Last night, she had a fever. A very low one. I didn't take her temp. This morning, her eyes were puffed up, her nose was congested, and when I changed her shirt, she had hives all over her torso. Scott says hay fever, and I say eggs. It's almost the same reaction she had to the dtap, just not severe. Eggs are out. I gave her benadryl, and the reaction stopped, which I think further supports the egg reaction. Or it's hay fever, and I'm crazy.

Sometimes I think I am crazy when it comes to my kids' issues with food. So many people don't take me serious.

Next years school books arrived! I love getting new school books. Same stuff as usual. Saxon Math 5/6, First Language Lessons 4, Writing With Ease 4, Spelling Workout, Story of The World 3. I also finally ordered our own copy of Usborne's What's Chemistry All About and What's Physics All About. No more rotating library cards to check the book out. Those books are great, and Abby enjoys them. I ordered a physics workshop box to compliment the Physics book for next year.

Abby and I have been working through a pretty cool chemistry lab kit. (Thanks again Amy and Dad!) Abby is very much into chemistry, and the kit looks professional, and makes Abby feel like a chemist. She's made a litmus solution, blue ink that she turned into red ink, and carbonic acid. Next up we make limewater for some sort of experiment. I made her a lab coat out of an old shirt of Scott's. Abby wants a patch with Dr Takemoto on it, but sadly, I think that is beyond my crafting and sewing skills.

1 comment:

Jac said...

Blech on the reactions. And I don't think you are crazy :) Though people look at me the same way, so maybe we both are ;)